Whassa happnin' hotstuff?

Monday, April 25, 2011

Great Day with a Beekeeper

This is my little Busybee holding the chick she picked out as a 'pet' at my mom's house/farm.
And this  pics b/c I just can't stand how cute this baby goat is!

So, my mom and her husband (yes technically he's my step father but they got married 5 years ago and I'm 41, so calling him my stepfather just doesn't make sense to me) are beekeepers.  Yep - they raise bees and sell organic raw honey, honey butter, etc.   I'm going to make a website for my mom because the ENT's (Ears Nose Throat Drs) where she works are referring their patients to local organic honey as a therapy for allergies and other maladies and she needs to start looking a little more 'professional.'  

The point isn't that exactly, my point today is that I had a victory as a mom who is trying really hard to make more a connection with her kids while they're still young!  I've been taking off Mondays and volunteering at my daughter's pre-school and its been a lot of fun really seeing her there.  She's so proud that her mommy is there and it just feels so good to see that in her.  So today, my mom's husband, brought a bee hive, a real honey frame, a queen bee, worker bee, and the whole bee keeper garb and did presentations to all the kids at her school.  It was really cool for the kids to see it up close, touch the beeswax, the honey comb and taste the honey!  Did you all know that eating a spoonful of local honey helps cure some people of their pollen allergies?  That's one reason the ENTs recommend it to patients.  The key is that it must be local since pollen in different areas are different.  Since the bees make honey using the pollen and nectar from local flowers, it puts a little in the honey and it makes you build up a resistance of sorts.  Pretty neat, I thought.  I had a fun day with my little busybee and we came home, ran through the sprinkler and I got to plant some beautiful flowers in pots on my deck.  I'm sitting outside now and its simply a gorgeous evening!    Is this what its going to be like this summer while I'm off?  Yeah, I know better, but it sure would be nice if everyday was like this!


I've done great eating today - Sbux for breakfast, a 170 cal Hawaiian breeze from tropical smoothie for lunch, and leftover from Easter dinner (ham, mashed potatoes, green beans) - oh and sweetbread - eek, and 4 Hershey kisses and 2 mini Reese's cups!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...