Whassa happnin' hotstuff?

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm struggling with my lack of weight loss

I am struggling to understand why I am plateaued again and actually gained weight this week after 4 week of doing all the right things.  Admittedly, last week, I only worked out once and ate completely off-plan, starting with chocolate at Easter.  I am analyzing how much weight I've lost so far and trying to true that up with when I got my first fill.  I feel like a failure, but I know I will make this work.  I also know that I intentionally didn't get a fill for 6 mos after my surgery b/c I just wasn't ready for many reasons.  The point is that I'm ready now and I need to figure out what I need to do next.
I'm at the place - the threshold between dropping to my lowest weight since before I got pg with my daughter.  Its that place that I've read many of you blog about - its almost a psychological thing - what am I doing to sabotage moving past this mark on the scale.  I weighed 198 for about 2 minutes about 4 years ago.  I had lost about 30lbs on my own and worked out religiously to get there.  Prior to that, I've not been below 200 for about 10 years.  The lowest weight I actually remember is being is in the 170's and 180's when I got married 16 years ago.  My point is that I'm stuck here and I don't understand why.  Am I going to completely fail at this?  No, I'm not so I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
I read this on the consumer guide to bariatric surgery "Weight loss with gastric banding tends to be gradual. You may lose up to two or three pounds a week in the first year after the surgery, but one pound a week is the average. This slows in the 12 to 18 months after your surgery. On average, gastric banding produces a loss of about 40 percent of excess weight in the first year and 55 percent of excess weight in the second year. If you plateau at any point, your surgeon can give you a "fill."
So I lost 30lbs in the 6 mos after I got my first fill.  That puts me at December 09.  My total excess weight that I want to lose from my starting weight of 232 is 70lbs.  So a 40% loss of 70lbs would mean I should have lost 28 lbs. in the first year?  Doesn't that sound totally wrong?  If I were to lose 55% of my excess weight in this 2nd year, that would put me at losing another 38.5 lbs.  Wouldn't THAT be awesome!!??  If I lost 38.5 lbs from where I am right now, it would put me at a weight of 166.5 which would be pretty darn incredible. 
I guess I had the understanding that most of your weight loss is in the first year - and I've read that in a few studies.  How do you all feel about that 40% in the first year, 55% in the 2nd year statement above?  I'd love to know your thoughts and what your doctors have told you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not going to fail - but I do get the mental 199 block. We want it so badly, but man I feel like I can't keep my shit together for a week to get it. We need to take a deep breath and relax.
    My Dr./NP both stress that it could take two years to get to goal (God I hope not), so I think the 40% first year/55% second might be true. Maybe flipped for me personally. It does tie into the studies they do that show that 3-4 years after surgery band and bypass patients are at about the same % loss.
    Got your comment - I was 203 this morning. I'd like to think I could do it this week, but it's been a long time since I lost 3 pounds in a week. Do you have a fill scheduled soon?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...